1. Notes for this week
- Another great performance at Glenaire this past Monday. I believe that there were 19 singers on the risers.
- Followed by a very fine Afterglow at The Corner Tavern, attended by 12. Over 60%!
- We look forward to the last in our series of Christmas concerts. Vern Pike will send out complete details on the gig.
- Dec 19: Monday evening, Christmas Show at Springmoor Retirement Community in north Raleigh. Call time is 6:15pm, Performance at 7pm.
- Dec 26 - No chorus meeting.
- Jan 2 - No chorus meeting.
- Jan 9 - Next Chorus meeting, at our regular location Searstone Retirement Community. New Monday Schedule! Going forward, our regular Monday schedule will run from 7pm to 9:30pm.
- New Music: The MuComm has been hard at work preparing 4 new songs for us to start on for 2023. The tracks and score are located in our on-line Songs library. Download them now and get busy! See Mike Muha's email for details.
- Desperado (Eagles), Here Comes the Sun (Beatles), Honesty (Billy Joel), and You've Got A Friend In Me (Randy Newman - Toy Story).
- Don't spend time on the intro to Desperado as we will probably drop it.
- Take on You've Got a Friend in Me last as we're going to raise the key maybe two steps!
- No Acorn for the next few weeks.
2. Carol's Korner
- Congratulations on another very good performance this week! The folks at Glenaire loved us, and want us to come back!
- It's already been said, but ENORMOUS credit goes to Mike Muha for the million little things he put together to make Tuesday night's show a success. Mike, we see you and appreciate you so much!!
- Please keep looking at your music and going over your words and notes so that I can dial back on the on-stage charades to get us through the wordier songs. And keep gliding on the vowels so we achieve a smoother sound.
3. Ben's Buzz
10 Steps to a Note,
Step 1 - Hear a Pitch. Covered on Nov 25. Click here
Step 2 - Find Your Note. Covered on Nov 30. Click here
Step 3 - Check Your Posture. Covered on Dec 7. Click here.
Ben's Buzz column will resume after the Holidays!
4. Future Notes
- January 30 - Our next guest night. Our focus will be on reaching out to the Hispanic community.
- February 12 to 14 - plan to run Singing Valentines again this year. February 14 is a Tuesday, so we'll look for opportunities on the previous weekend.
- Think about how maybe you can help out in the planning and management of this little enterprise!
5. Long Range
- March 10 and 11, 2023: Carolinas District Spring Convention in Spartanburg, SC.
- August 4 to 6, 2023. At Clemson University Campus in Clemson, SC. The Carolinas District is now partnering with the Dixie District to run a single Harmony Education Program ("HEP") in the summer for both NSC and DIX districts. This tot fab educational weekend will be held at Clemson University in Clemson, SC. Absolutely top-tier faculty is assembled for this training event. I can attest that this is a GREAT weekend of singing education, for individual singers, quartets, entire choruses, and chorus directors. Pencil this weekend into your calendar for now. Over the winter, we as a chorus will develop plans, as appropriate and beneficial, to attend this, if possible.
- October 2023 - Carolinas District leadership has decided to permanently eliminate the Fall Convention and Contest, going forward.
6. Champagne Room
- Congratulations to all Oak City Sound members for having taken on the busiest Christmas season we've seen in many years.
- OCS is back up to 20 on the risers for our concerts. A few more will rejoin us after the Christmas season.
- Many thanks to Mike Muha and Carol Stephenson for putting together a fun Christmas show set for OCS.